WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed

Florian Berger fberger at florian-berger.de
Thu Nov 11 04:25:23 EST 2010

Hi,

I've solved it. :)

Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi>:

> Have you tried setting the passphrase here (psk="your secret
> passphrase") instead of PSK as hexdump from wpa_passphrase?

That exactly did the trick. When I put the passphrase in clear text in
wpa_supplicant.conf, it works.

As I understand, doing it that way means that the actual 256 Bit key is
computed at runtime when the connection is established.

What strikes me: shouldn't wpa_passphrase and the key generator in
wpa_supplicant yield the exact same result? I.e., why is one working,
and the other not? Is this a terminal/web interface encoding issue?

Regards,
        Florian