WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Nov 10 07:31:44 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:21:44PM +0100, fberger at florian-berger.de wrote:
> I have problems connecting to a particular wifi acces point.

Which AP is this (vendor/model)?

> wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> network={
>         ssid="XXXXXXXX"
>         psk=<psk is verified and correct>
>         proto=WPA2
> }

Have you tried setting the passphrase here (psk="your secret
passphrase") instead of PSK as hexdump from wpa_passphrase?

> Any pointers where to start getting this to work?

Apart from making very sure that the passphrase is correct (and not
getting incorrect value because of SSID, etc., through wpa_passphrase),
there is not really much that can be done from the wpa_supplicant side.
In other words, this may require getting some debug/system log output
from the AP or wireless sniffer trace showing the frames exchanged
between the devices.