Seamless roaming with ath5k

Jean Charles Mammana mammana at gostai.com
Mon May 10 04:25:48 EDT 2010

The following commands :
sudo wpa_cli bssid myessid 00:C0:CA:35:40:34
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

switch my computer from one AP to another but I have 2/3 seconds without
connectivity.

Here, the wpa_supplicant log :
<2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
<2>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<2>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<2>Trying to associate with 00:c0:ca:35:40:34 (SSID='myessid' freq=2462 MHz)
<2>Associated with 00:c0:ca:35:40:34
<2>WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:c0:ca:35:40:34 [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
<2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:c0:ca:35:40:34 completed
(reauth) [id=0 id_str=]

How tell to the driver I want a reassociation to the new AP instead a
classical association ?

mammana at gostai.com a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I just bought some Access point with IAPP (also named 802.11f) feature enabled.
> All my APs are configured using the same ESSID in WPA2/AES on differents channel and on the same network...
> My laptop works on my wireless network but each time I move from an AP to another one, I have small disconnections (4/5 seconds).
>
> So, now I'm trying to enable seamless roaming on my laptop (ubuntu server 10.04 / Atheros, driver ath5k).
>
> It seems wpa_supplicant needs to send reassociation request each time I moves to another AP but its logs shows diassociation and association with full reauth..
>
> Could you help me ?
>
> Sorry for my poor english :/

Jean Charles MAMMANA
R&D robotic engineer, Gostai SAS               http://www.gostai.com

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely
for the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message
in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any
use not in accord with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval. The
Internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
Gostai S.A.S. shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message
if modified.

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le  "message")
sont etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont
confidentiels. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le
detruire et d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur. Toute
utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute
diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite,
sauf autorisation expresse. L'Internet ne permettant pas d'assurer
l'integrite de ce message, Gostai S.A.S. decline toute responsabilite
au titre de ce message, dans l'hypothese ou il aurait ete modifie.