Double disconnect event

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Mar 6 04:01:05 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 03:41:51PM -0800, Dmitry Shmidt wrote:

> Working with several WEXT-supported driver I see that they are sending
> SIOCGIWAP event
> (DISASSOCIATE) for both DISASSOCIATE and DEAUTHENTICATE internal driver events
> by using
>   wireless_send_event(SIOCGIWAP);
>
> In case of AP with no security it will be just one message, but
> otherwise it will send the message twice.
> driver_wext.c event handling will call
>    wpa_supplicant_event(ctx, EVENT_DISASSOC, NULL);
> twice for each of driver's events with small delay.

This sounds reasonable.

> It is not a big deal for wpa_supplicant itself but it may confuse
> network manager.

Could you please provide more details on why and how this would confuse
network manager?

> Will it be "safe" to suppress the second message on driver_wext.c layer?
> Am I missing something?

Whether it is safe or not, I'm missing details on why it would be
desirable to suppress the second event.. ;-) Unless a clear issue can be
identified, I would rather not make wpa_supplicant filter events in this
way.