fast roaming with hostapd and wpa_supplicant

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 16:07:44 EDT 2010

--- On Mon, 6/14/10, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:

> > http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2010-May/021482.html
>
> That message seems to be mentioning multiple different
> options.. The
> current development trees of hostapd, wpa_supplicant, Linux
> wireless LAN
> support both IEEE 802.11 RSN pre-authentication and IEEE
> 802.11r. And
> yes, you may need to get a development snapshots instead of
> release
> version of the software components to get all the fixes
> included at this
> point.
>
> > Which linux driver actually supports 802.11r?
>
> I would expect most mac80211-based drivers to work. I'm
> mainly testing
> with ath9k, so that is the only one I can say that I've
> seen working
> properly.

Thanks Jouni

I haven't decided yet which card to buy. So I guess that if I want to play it safe I can choose from any of the cards listed here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/products/external

What nic brands/models are you actually developing hostapd/wpa_supplicant on?

You've actually been able to perform "fast roaming" with ath9k and any one of the methods mentioned above, even when using WPA2-AES EAP-TLS with RADIUS? (def. "fast roaming": fast enough for realtime apps such as VoIP).

Do you release wpa_supplicant development binary snapshots for Windows or do I have to build from source?
I'm asking because this url seems empty (but it refers to "release" anyway):
http://hostap.epitest.fi/releases/snapshots/

Thanks!

Vieri