fast roaming with hostapd and wpa_supplicant

Dennis Borgmann dennis.borgmann at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 14 07:47:38 EDT 2010

Hi Vieri,

I have been waiting for a serious answer on your last mail from May
26th, 2010 as well, but it doesn't seem to interest anyone or there is
no work available, that is sophisticated enough to be told of. From what
I can tell, I do not know really fast implementations. In 2007 I did my
diploma thesis on this very topic, but it involved a madwifi card in
monitor mode and no encryption at all. What I did in this work was to
implement all the handshakes neccessary for client-AP communication on
OSI layer 2 and by the way checking the signal strength of all the
beacons that arrived. If an AP was significantly better in its signal
strength, I switched over to that one and each handover took around 2,5
ms. It wasn't visible in a videostream, even if handover was done
several times a second. BUT this was without encryption and I did it,
because nothing really fast was available anywhere.

So - all summed up - don't be surprised, if there won't be any other
answers. This field doesn't seem to be that crowded with developers in
the open source world.

Kind regards,
Dennis