[wpa_supplicant] Ad-Hoc/IBSS with 3+ Nodes

SJB89@Drexel.edu sjb89 at drexel.edu
Sat Jul 31 16:22:14 EDT 2010

 Has anyone successfully set up a WPA2-PSK Ad-Hoc network consisting of
three or
more nodes? I have been attempting this with four nodes and can only manage
create two isolated networks, each comprised of just two nodes.  My
wpa_supplicant.conf is shown below, along with my system configuration.
wpa_supplicant.conf was inspired by the one mentioned by Sean at [1], with
which a seven node olsr mesh was allegedly achieved [2].

### wpa_supplicant.conf ###
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa-supplicant GROUP=wheel
ap_scan=2
network={
    ssid="adhoc"
    mode=1
    frequency=2412
    proto=WPA
    key_mgmt=WPA_NONE
    pairwise=NONE
    group=TKIP
    psk=1234567890
}

### System Configuration ###
(Identical for all systems)
HP tc4200
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Mini-PCI Adapter
    driver: ipw2200
Linux kernel 2.6.33.6-147
Fedora 13 (x86)
wpa_supplicant v0.6.8

### Launch Steps (as root) ###
service NetworkManager stop
[outstanding wpa_supplicant instances killed]
wpa_supplicant -d -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wext
ifconfig eth1 up
ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.xxx/24

The above launch steps are run first on node A, then B, C, and D in that
order.
A and B have bidirectional communication - that is, A can receive messages
from
B and B can receive messages from A.  Similarly, C and D have bidirectional
communication when they have been initialized.  However, there is no path of
communication between either A or B and either C or D.  While they are all
listed by iwconfig as being on the same cell, there appears to be two
separate
networks formed with the same ssid, encryption key, and access points (I use
that term loosely because of the nature of Ad-Hoc networks).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?