Issues with new D-Bus API

Witold Sowa witold.sowa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:56:34 EST 2010

Marcel Holtmann pisze:
> Hi Witold,
>
>>> Do we have a list (or can easily generate it) of information that
>>> NetworkManager (or ConnMan, etc., for that matter) currently need from
>>> these IEs?
>>>
>> Looking at NM sources, it seams that it retrieves following information
>> for WPA and RSN:
>> - group suite
>> - list of pairwise suites
>> - list of key management suites
>> - preauth capability
>> and additionally PMKID list for RSN:
>
> does it make use of pairwise and group suite values? Maybe it does for
> presenting them to the UI to choose from. Which is actually pointless
> from a user perspective. The important is the key management.

Yes, it checks if client's device can support AP suites. I believe that
wpa_supplicant do it too. Nethertheless, NM needs the suite values or
would require some work to stop needing these. It won't be a problem to
expose suites too.

>> Nevertheless, it only make any use of pairwise/group ciphers and key
>> management settings.
>>
>> I have no idea what other clients do with IEs.
>
> In ConnMan, I am just extracting the key management value. That is
> enough for us. The group and pairwise suites values are total overload
> for the end user and they will not make any good use of it.
>
> For a more general client of wpa_supplicant it might be useful in some
> ways.

Exactly.

>> I propose to add string array Security property to BSS object with two
>> possible elements "rsn" and "wpa" and add two new interfaces to BSS objects:
>> fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.BSS.WPA
>> fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.BSS.RSN (or WPA2)
>> each containing string array properties KeyManagement, Group, Pairwise
>> and whatever currently clients need.
>>
>> In BSSAdded signal second parameter we would call above properties like
>> WPA.Group and RSN.Group in order to distinguish them.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Either we do "WPA : dict" and "RSN : dict" wich then contains the same
> key names from the Interface capabilities.

Sounds good to me. Dicts will be empty in case if no WPA/RSN is
supported so we avoid non existing properties.

Regards,
Witek.