Issues with DebugLevel and AuthAlg properties

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Jan 1 14:39:06 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 10:46:36AM -0800, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> 1) The DebugLevel is always exported as 2 when accessing a newly started
> wpa_supplicant. Maybe I am missing something, but I would expect that it
> starts with 0 unless I specified -d on the command line.

The default debug level is MSG_INFO, i.e., 2. -d on command line
decreases this to 1 (MSG_DEBUG) and -dd to 0 (MSG_MSGDUMP) (similarly,
-q increases the level to 3 (MSG_WARNING), and -qq to 4 (MSG_ERROR). In
other words, the larger the number, the less verbose debug output.

> 2) The AuthAlg capabilities list is empty. I am testing this on a 2.6.31
> kernel with an Intel 5350 card. Is that a kernel issue or some other
> weird coincidence I am not aware of?

This is caused by missing code in driver_nl80211.c (and _wext for that
matter), i.e., the authentication algorithm capabilities are not set.
I'll fix this somehow (i.e., likely just hardcode all options to be
enabled for now).