WPA/WPA2 key renewal

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Feb 24 02:18:19 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:41:50PM -0800, Dmitry Shmidt wrote:

> Is there any way to figure out when AP will do key WPA/WPA2 renewal?

Figure it out where and when? The associated station will know when this
process started, but it does not know when the AP might do it in the
future. It can also request the AP to do rekeying immediately.

> I am looking at packet trace and I can not find any information related to this.
> Is it not "public"? I mean that AP is not sending it at all?

The rekeying handshake is encrypted, so it can get somewhat difficult to
figure this out from a capture trace. In most cases, you can probably
figure it out by checking packets lengths and timing for a frame
exchange between the AP and the station.