WPS with WPA Algorithm : TKIP + AES

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Feb 8 13:31:02 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 02:52:25PM -0000, santosh kumar upadhyaya wrote:

> I am trying to connect with Linksys WRT54 G2 AP with configuration as:
>
> Security Mode : WPA2 Personal
> WPA Algorithm:  AES
>
> It works fine for me.
>
> Where as If I change the WPA Algorithm to : TKIP + AES , it does not connect with the AP.

Which firmware version are you using on the AP?

> I am able to get through M1-M8 . But finally when parsing the credencials it finds it as unsupported auth type and the type is 0.
>
> The debug print is as below.
>
> WPS: Ignored credentials for unsupported authentication type 0

This sounds like a bug in the AP behavior. 0 is not a valid
authentication type value.

> Does WPS work with TKIP + AES as WPA Algorithm ??

Well.. In theory, it does, but the specification is unfortunately not
exactly clear on how this configuration is supposed to be handled. In
this particular case, it looks like the implementation on the AP has
been designed to use 0 as the Authentication Type value when both
WPA-Personal and WPA2-Personal are enabled. This is somewhat undesired
choice, but it should be possible to work around that if this type of AP
implementations are deployed in large numbers (this was the first time I
remember hearing about this particular problem).