FW: [wpa_supplicant] Most WPA AP:s dont get to WPA_4WAY_HANDSHAKE state when wrong PSK is supplied

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Dec 4 14:52:42 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 12:50:23PM +0100, Olsson, Ola1 wrote:
> The behaviour I get in most cases is that I get my phone in state ASSOCIATING and then get EVENT_DISASSOC from wpa_driver_wext_event_wireless() in driver_wext.c after evaluating that the is_zero_ether_addr() evaluates to true.
>
> My question is:
> *Why don't we treat this 00:00:00:00:00:00 mac address as erroneous PSK even though we are only in ASSOCIATING state? When changing the code in events.c to also send the callback when in ASSOCIATING, it works perfectly. I'm a little bit worried of the side effects though. Anybody who knows what might go wrong?

I'm not sure I fully understood your description, but if you are saying
that you get disconnected even before association, there is no way of
knowing whether the PSK was correct or not. That warning is only shown
if the connection attempt fails during 4-way handshake. ASSOCIATING
state should only be used before 4-way handshake.