Accounting info when using the internal hostapd's RADIUS functionality

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 10:21:27 EST 2010

Hello Dennis,

	Thanks for your reply!

	I am also using freeRadius in my testbed but was thinking of getting a more lightweight authentication and accounting implementation on the access point (hostapd), when it looses its connection to the Internet (thus freeRadius).

	The other alternative would be to use freeRadius as proxy (with robust-proxy-accounting) on the access point (as you suggested), but I was looking for something much more lightweight. I thought that since we are able to do authentication with hostapd's internal Radius server, we could easily store accounting information (after all, all these packets go through the AP) and process these stored accounting logs at a much latter stage.

	I would really have hoped that a simple solution would exist and avoid the overkill to run FR on the AP...

	Best Regards,
	Panos