The Wireless LAN Controller implementation

Masashi Honma honma at ictec.co.jp
Mon Apr 19 01:31:49 EDT 2010

Hello, Jouni.

# I have sent this mail to you 2 months ago.
# But maybe it was dropped as spam.
# So I will re-send this to list.

I'm planning to implement Wireless LAN Controller (WLC). The WLC is
Cisco hardware which exists between AP and RADIUS server. The figure
is "STA --- AP --- WLC --- RADIUS server". The WLC receives EAPOL
frame from AP and process it as authenticator. The AP is just like
an antenna. So previous figure will be drawn as
"supplicant --- antenna --- authenticator --- authentication server".
The AP and WLC communicate with UDP.

I will implement WLC as some patches to hostapd/wpa_supplicant. As
first step, I will separate authenticator as another process and
communicate with UNIX domain socket. How do you think ?

Regards,
Masashi Honma.