wpa_supplicant does not start automatically

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Wed Sep 30 05:50:26 EDT 2009

Hello!

I changed (again...) to a Fritz! USBN N stick and use it with kernel 2.6.31
and compat-wireless-2.6. Works fine now.

But, wpa_supplicant does not start automatically... with my old stick it
started automatically, i now have to issue

wpa_supplicant -i wlan2 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.custom

(The stick is recognized as "wlan2", i dont know why, it's the only stick in
the system).

In which config file should I put the wpa_supplicant command so that I do not
need to call it manually?

One other thing, iwconfig shows now encryption:

wlan2     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:"humpelstilzchen"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.417 GHz  Access Point: 00:1F:33:FC:52:1C
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-33 dBm

strange, I enforce WPA2 and wpa_supplicant confirms this, just iwconfig is wrong
here.....

Regards
Malte