wpa_supplicant error when usb stick tries to connect to AP

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Sep 28 09:18:16 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 10:09:18PM +0200, Malte Gell wrote:

> I have a Fritz! USB WLAN N stick and a Netgear router / access point. I use
> the Windows drivers with ndiswrapper.

Is there a model number on that device? Which NDIS driver are you using?
How does it show up in "lsusb" output? There is a native Linux driver
for some AVM Fritz! WLAN USB devices (see
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9170) and you might have
better luck with it or at least more likely get help with that rather
than ndiswrapper.

> Ok, wlan0 is up and running, but, the stick can't connect to the AP. I only
> get the error "disconnect event - remove keys".
>
> This is my wpa_supplicant config:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> network={
>   scan_ssid=1

Please note that ndiswrapper does not support per-SSID scan (i.e.,
scan_ssid=1) and if your AP does not broadcast the SSID in Beacon
frames, the connection is unlikely to work.