RADIUS...

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Sep 26 12:33:55 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 04:47:22PM -0400, John Dowd wrote:
> Is the RADIUS accounting session mandatory for hostapd or is there a way of
> turning it off? Perhaps I'm getting it confused with the network access
> accounting services server called RADIUS or is that exactly what it is?

Why would you like to turn it off? Statistics are collected
automatically for the session, but if you do not enable RADIUS
accounting in the configuration (either runtime or build), the actual
RADIUS accounting messages are not sent out.

> I'm trying to run hostapd in the absolutely simplest modes with no encryption,
> wide open in an attempt to debug problems that I've been having with
> connectivity after hostapd has done its magic.

Accounting has nothing to do with authentication or connection setup..

> No matter what settings I have in the hostapd.conf file I still see a message
> in the log:
>
> RADIUS: starting accounting session [hex numbers]

What makes you believe this has anything to do with the problems you
have seen?