Unable to get hostapd working with minimal configuration file

Aditya Bhave aybhave at cmu.edu
Thu Oct 22 22:05:14 EDT 2009

Hi,
I am new to using hostapd. I have the following config

1. Lenovo Thinkpad with Intel WGN card built in (wlan0) and Netgear
Atheros card (ath0)
2. I installed hostapd as per instructions on the website.
3. My hostapd-minimal.conf file is

interface=ath0
driver=nl80211
ssid=test

However when I try and run hostapd, I get the following error

ayb at AdLenovoLaptop:~/Data/Work/CMU/PhD/Research/Code/hostapd-0.6.9/hostapd$
sudo ./hostapd ./hostapd-minimal.conf
Configuration file: ./hostapd-minimal.conf
Failed to set interface wlan0 to master mode.
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=5 eloop_data=0x8db3848 user_data=(nil)
handler=0x807c350
ayb at AdLenovoLaptop:~/Data/Work/CMU/PhD/Research/Code/hostapd-0.6.9/hostapd$

Can someone please help me with this?

thanks
regards,
Aditya Bhave