Query: can wpa_supplicant set up an ad-hoc network

Soh Kam Yung sohkamyung at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 02:03:57 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Soh Kam Yung <sohkamyung at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's more of trying to understand how an ad-hoc network works.  Thanks
> for the info.
> One more question: if the initial scan does not reveal an existing
> IBSS and one is created instead by wpa_supplicant, how is the RF
> channel selected?  Is this at random or are there specific rules that
> determine which channel will be used?
> Is there a wpa_supplicant option to configure the channel to be used for a IBSS?

One more question (besides the one in the quote above): in the sample
wpa_supplicant configurations for ad-hoc supplied by Dan in an earlier
mail, there is this one:

       ssid="my WPA ad-hoc network"

Is this the only WPA secured configuration supported for ad-hoc?  Must
key_mgmt be WPA-NONE and pairwise be NONE?

I checked the IEEE Std. 802.11-2007 document and Section 5.8.3 (IBSS
functional model description) describes an IBSS where pairwise traffic
is also encrypted and exchanged.

The example also uses the 4-way handshake to exchange the transmit
keys between each station that wants to communicate in the IBSS.  Does
wpa_supplicant remember all of this key information?

Soh Kam Yung
my Google Reader Shared links:
my Google Reader Shared SFAS links: