Possible bug, saved WEP security network will try to associatewith SAME SSID but wpa security network

Zheng BaoZhong-E13358 bao-zhong at motorola.com
Sun Oct 18 22:19:42 EDT 2009

For my test, we are using LINKSYS, CISCO and DLINK Aps, and when wpa
security is enabled, capability info in beacons is privacy enabled.

I mean my Aps privacy is enabled when it is set to wpapsk or wpa2psk,
but WEP is disabled.

I do not find one AP which supports wpapsk/wpa2psk mixed with WEP
open/share security.

Even blacklist mechanism in wpa_supplicant will filter those Aps last
fail connected, and finally correct AP will be picked up and connected,
for some unusual cases, if there are several Aps configured with wpapsk
security, and just one AP with WEP security, of course with same SSID,
it will cost several scan times to connect with expected WEP security
AP.

I agree this depends on how define matching for WEP operations, but
actually there are little Aps which support WEP mixed with WPA security,
and mostly AP will broadcast beacons with privacy enabled for wpa
security.

If there is anything not right about above statements, appreciate your
comments.

Thanks again
Baozhong