Few queries on 802.11r

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Oct 13 10:23:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 06:43:51PM +0530, alan furlong wrote:

> I am trying to use 802.11r functionality of wpa_supplicant. I have few
> queries as following -
>
> 1. Is it possible to use 802.11r functionality on windows (NDIS)?

As far as the standard NDIS OIDs are concerned, no, NDIS does not
currently provide a mechanism to control the authentication and
association process in a way required for 802.11r. In other words, this
would require vendor specific OIDs to be defined and changes to both the
driver and wpa_supplicant driver wrapper.

> 2. Can I use 802.11r functionality ( CONFIG_IEEE80211R defined) with
> -Dwext OR it is mandatory to use -Dnl80211 ?

Initial mobility domain association could work with driver_wext, but the
actual use of FT protocol would likely require changes in driver_wext.c.

> 3. What are the access points we have tested 802.11r against, using
> wpa_supplicant? OR it is tested only against hostapd?

I have tested only against hostapd myself, but other people may have
tested against other implementations.