How to get MSK/EMSK

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Nov 26 10:39:21 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 04:23:00PM +0300, L'onia wrote:

> In the client application I need to get generated EMSK from the wpa_supplicant.

Could you please describe what you would be using the EMSK for?

> Is the any wpa_cli (wpa_ctrl_request) command that can be used to retrieve the EMSK?

No, wpa_supplicant, or well, even the EAP peer implementation inside
wpa_supplicant, does not current export EMSK due to the restrictions
mandated by RFC 3748. This may be changed once a future RFC describes
how the EMSK would be used, but for the time being, you would need to
do some modifications into the EAP peer code and control interface if
you would like to get that information exported.