Strange behavior with wpa_supplicant -u

Mike Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Wed Nov 11 18:14:10 EST 2009

Hi,

I am having a connectivity issue with my wireless adapter that only
occurs when using wpa_supplicant's DBus interface, and only on one
specific AP.  My laptop has an internal Intel 3945ABG wireless adapter,
which I'm using via the Linux in-kernel iwlwifi driver.  When I try to
connect DLink AirPlus G 6000, using uses WPA-PSK with TKIP, that's in my
office, weird things happen.

If I configure and run wpa_supplicant manually or via wicd, the adapter
hooks right up with the AP and stays there.  But if I try to use
NetworkManager, which controls wpa_supplicant through DBus, the adapter
spontaneously disassociates from the AP after about 15 seconds.  I get
the following errors:

wlan0: disassociated (Reason: 14)
wlan0: deauthenticated (Reason: 6)

which appears to indicate that the encryption between the AP and the
adapter has failed.  This is usually followed by NetworkManager
prompting me again for the PSK, even though it hasn't changed.

The only difference I can detect between the working and non-working
setups is how wpa_supplicant is launched.

Working incovation: wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i wlan0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B

Failing invocation: wpa_supplicant -u

My biggest problem at the moment is I can't figure out how to tell what
wpa_supplicant is doing when it's running via nm.  Is there any type of
command-line dbus utility or trace mechanism that I can use to see
what's going on?  Or better yet, has anyone else seen this behavior and
can tell me where to look to fix it?

(And, to ward off the "obvious" solution -- not using NetworkManager
isn't currently an option, for many frustrating reasons beyond my control.)

Thanks,

--Mike