inactivity time out is rested on use of WPA supplicant and madwifi

Tekale Sharad-FHJN78 FHJN78 at motorola.com
Tue Mar 10 07:22:00 EDT 2009

HI,

My configuration:
H/W:     Fonera (4+1)
             Atheros2315A

S/W:     Openwrt(kamikaze) 7.09.
             hostapd-0.5.7
             madwifi-trunk-r3314

I'm able to set inactivity time out period in open and wep mode, where
as not able to set it up WPA mode.

The command I have used is:  $iwpriv ath0 inact_auth <value>

I debugged both madiwifi and hostapd using printk and here is my
observation...

Madwifi:
for associated clients the default time out is 180 secs and for
authenticated clients its 300secs.

1) When an mu associates to ap, ieee80211_node_join method(of
ieee80211_node.c) is called and the time out value is set at
  ni->ni_inact_reload = vap->iv_inact_auth;
  ni->ni_inact = ni->ni_inact_reload;
till here every thing is fine.

2) But this value is rested from ieee80211_ioctl_setmlme
method(ieee80211_wireless.c), I.e it call ieee80211_node_authorize(
ieee80211_node.c ).
and the reload value is updated i.e ni->ni_inact_reload =
ni->ni_vap->iv_inact_run;

3) and it is set to ni->ni_inact from ieee80211_input.c,  ni->ni_inact =
ni->ni_inact_reload;

Hostapd: