WPS build on windows : Any chance to work on Vista ?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Jan 30 14:42:51 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 05:33:54PM +0100, Annie Rota wrote:

> Regarding the requirements for WPS on windows (NDIS 5 driver, libpcap
> installed) in order to be able to manage WPS IE,
> I was wondering if the resulting .exe was able to run a WPS session under
> Vista.

It won't work with NDIS 6 drivers since Microsoft changed the OIDs used
in the new version of the driver interface. I have not tried with NDIS 5
drivers on Vista, so I'm not sure whether it would be possible to get
that working, but my assumption would be that will not work without some
changes.

> If not, what are the missing parts or the difference between XP and Vista ?
> NDIS implementation ? other ?

The main differences are in NDIS version. wpa_supplicant has support for
NDIS 5, but not for NDIS 6. The other issue is in how Microsoft made it
more difficult to replace their supplicant in Vista. Even if
wpa_supplicant were updated to use NDIS 6 OIDs, there are components in
the Vista stack that filter out some of the necessary OIDs and bypassing
that will likely require writing a kernel driver to avoid the filtering.