beacons and hostapd

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Jan 30 14:12:06 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 06:55:12PM +0200, Mark Ryden wrote:

> I use the rt73usb driver
>
> I had added printk messages in the beacon transmit method
> ieee80211_beacon_get()
> in net/mac80211/tx.c and also in the driver : it is
> rt2x00queue_update_beacon() method, which in fact
> calls ieee80211_beacon_get(). (net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00queue.c)
>
> What is strange is that when I start hostapd and wait for more than 3
> minutes, I see only 3 calls to
> ieee80211_beacon_get() !

I do not know how rt73usb words, but it is possible that the device has
firmware generating Beacon frames and it would only use a Beacon frame
from mac80211 as a template for configure the firmware to do the rest.

> But hostapd in fact sends 10 beacons in a second by default - so why
> don't I see messages of ieee80211_beacon_get() ?

hostapd does not send beacons, it just configured mac80211 with a
template and beacon interval.