Can't obtain DHCP address

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Feb 8 06:48:49 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 05:55:26PM -0500, Dmitry Baryshev wrote:

> I have a D-Link WBR-2310 wireless router, it is configured to use
> WPA+TKIP+"Personal". Before I should say that WEP security mode works
> fine, DHCP works well, but WPA doesn't. I configure router to have
> SSID="dima" and password "12345678". I have the following config for
> wpa_supplicant:

Which WLAN card and driver are you using in the client?

> # wpa_supplicant -Dwext -B -u -c ~/.config/supplicant.conf -i eth1
> -P/tmp/wpa_supplicant/pid

Could you please run this in foreground and with debugging enabled
(replace -B with -dd on the command line) and send the debug output?

> My kernel is 2.6.26, wpa_supplicant is 0.5.10. Static IP seems to work
> for this security type, but DHCP doesn't. Why? Thanks.

What do you mean with static IP working? Can you use the connection fine
just by setting the IP address manually? Have you checked whether the
client is able to receive broadcast packets? I would assume your DHCP
server is replying with broadcast frames and the client may fail to
receive them.