Problem with BSS properties

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Dec 26 03:34:12 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 03:13:34PM -0800, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> The other thing are the quality and noise properties. Do you still want
> these? Or can we just go for a signal property showing the dBm value
> like iw scan does. I don't see any extra value in keeping deprecated
> values in the new API.

Please lets get rid of them. One signal strength value that could be
trusted to contain some useful data is much better than three with
semi-random values no one can figure out.. Quality has never been
defined properly and noise is not even a property of a BSS (it is per
channel and should not have been mixed with scan results in the first
place).

> Do you think a "Display" or "Name" property showing the SSID in
> converted UTF-8 would be useful. Or should the clients do that
> translation?

I would love to have this, but I do agree that it is next to impossible
to get this right in all cases.