When I set AP like WEP/OPEN or WEP/SHARED , How Can I get AuthMode from IE Codes or anyway else?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 02:59:44 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 09:23 +0800, Anson_Luo at cn.alphanetworks.com wrote:

> ALL here:
>         I have a question that let me puzzle:
> When I set AP like WEP/OPEN or WEP/SHARED ,How Can I get AuthMode from
> IE Codes or anyway else?

You cannot.  Open/Shared is simply not present in the AP's beacon.  It
is a deficiency of WEP, which WPA fixed by only allowing open
authentication for WPA connections.  There is simply no way to tell
whether an AP is using shared auth or open system auth because a WEP AP
never broadcasts that information.

Either the user has to specify the WEP authentication mode explicitly,
or the supplicant/driver must first try Shared Key first, and then Open
System when/if the AP reports that SK is not available (using 802.11
status code 13, "Requested authentication algorithm not supported").

Dan