IWEVPMKIDCAND Event

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Aug 26 16:49:40 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 12:36:12PM +0530, Paresh Sawant wrote:

> I am using wpa_supplicant on Linux ( kernel 2.6.30 and WEXT V22). I am
> looking for IWEVPMKIDCAND event notification when I have more than one APs
> with same SSID configured as WPA2 enterprise.

> Is it possible to know what all drivers support this event notification?

Searching through the driver source code would probably be the best way
of figuring that out..

> I don't see the event coming on ath5K. I would like to know if it is
> functionality of specific hardware and its driver OR it is within mac80211
> subsystem ?

It would be from mac80211 in the case of ath5k (or well, any driver
using mac80211) _if_ they were to need this functionality. However, they
do not. IWPMKIDCAND event is only used when the driver takes care of
roaming (scanning, BSS selection, determination of when to roam), i.e.,
when wpa_supplicant is not processing scan results (ap_scan=2 mode). In
ap_scan=1 case (e.g., with mac80211), information about RSN
pre-authentication candidates is derived from the scan results and a
separate driver event is not needed.