WPS with wpa_supplicant dbus control interface

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Apr 10 05:24:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:36:26PM +0200, Jaime Soriano Pastor wrote:

> I'm trying to use the dbus control interface of wpa_supplicant to
> connect to a WPS access point without any success.

The dbus interface does not yet support WPS.

> The only options I'm setting using dbus are:
>  - "ssid" set to the network ssid or "bssid" set to the AP MAC
>  - "key_mgmt" set to WPS
>  - "phase1" set to "pbc=1" or "pin=<pin>"
>
> Is it ok?

This is all supposed to happen internally inside wpa_supplicant, i.e.,
the new network is not supposed to be added through the dbus. Instead,
the dbus interface should be extended to support for WPS_PBC, WPS_PIN,
and WPS_REG commands that are available through ctrl_iface.

> When sending the network information using dbus, are credentials also
> internally handled as especified by wps_cred_processing default
> setting?

That depends on configuration. As an example, I would expect
NetworkManager to process the credentials so that it can add the network
configuration into its own storage. Anyway, it would also be possible to
use the internal processing, if desired.

> And I'm also having problems to detect if a network is WPS enabled or
> not when scanning. Is it possible to know it using only dbus calls?
> I have seen that command line control interface receive WPS related
> events, but only WpsCred seems to be sent to dbus.

The dbus interface lacks most of the functionality needed for WPS. I
only added the credential call as an example.