Few doubts on SIOCSIWPMKSA and SIOCSIWAP

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Sep 26 12:09:22 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:58:00PM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 15:03 +0530, Raghavendra wrote:
> >  ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: Invalid argument
> >  ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Network is unreachable

> Hmm, are you perhaps using the Marvell 86xx vendor driver? :)  The first
> one indicates that the driver doesn't support the PMK operations that
> the supplicant is trying to do, and the second indicates that the driver
> cannot find the AP that the supplicant is trying to associate with in
> it's internal scan list.  Both are most likely driver issues.

Well, the first one is only needed for PMKSA caching which is an
optional feature and as such, the driver would not need to support it.
However, the error value looks a bit odd (EOPNOTSUPP would be more
reasonable for that case). Likewise, "Network is unreachable" for
SIOCSIWAP is a bit odd error code since wpa_supplicant was just trying
to clean any possibly configured BSSID filtering with 00:00:00:00:00:00
(since ap_scan=2 was used here). I would agree that there is probably
need for some minor cleanup in the driver. Anyway, I would assume that
neither of these are actually causing any noticeable problems apart from
these debug messages.