ifplugd activated before wpa-supplicant is done

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Sep 26 11:58:38 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 09:17:22PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> When I'm a bit far from my access point I noticed that ifplugd (which
> I use on my wlan0 interface) starts the dhcp client before
> wpa-supplicant has finished setting up the network connection.
>
> More specifically, I see the following wpa_cli status:
>
>    wpa_state=ASSOCIATED
>    Supplicant PAE state=AUTHENTICATING
>    suppPortStatus=Unauthorized

> while my dhclient is already launched by ifplugd and trying to get an
> IP address.  Is that normal?

Well, I don't know how your DHCP client works (or how ifplugd is
supposed to work for that matter), so that may or may not be normal. If
the DHCP client is clever enough, it will check the operstate setting
(IFLA_OPERSTATE) before starting to actually request IP configuration.
Alternatively, ifplugd should do this. wpa_supplicant will set the
operstate to IF_OPER_UP once the interface is ready for normal data
traffic (including DHCP).