How do I determine the source of a wireless bug?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Sep 25 14:20:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 07:35:05AM -0600, Wendell Nichols wrote:
> I have a lenovo thinkpad t61p with an intel wireless 4965 bgn type
> card.  It runs suse 11.0 and everything is acceptable except wireless.
> It runs from 12 to 72 hrs before it goes down and will not restart.
> Sometimes I can get it to restart by unloading the driver and reloading
> it... usually not.  I have to boot!  galling.
>
> So I enabled the debug in the kernel driver, and added the debug flags
> to the supplicant config.  I have the wpa_supplicant log, dmesg, and the
> last x lines from messages.  the NetworkManager log got deleted (zero
> lines) at the time of the failure... but I dont' know if its related.
> So what do I do with these logs?

My policy would be that if re-starting wpa_supplicant does not fix an
issue, it is most likely something in the kernel. If reloading the
driver does not allow the connection to recover, something seems to be
wrong in the driver/firmware. As such, I would suggest reporting this to
Intel driver maintainers as the first step.