Problems with EAP-TTLS/EAP-TLS - One Step further

Carolin Latze carolin.latze at unifr.ch
Thu Oct 30 10:11:39 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

meanwhile I tried several things and didn't succeed but I have an idea
what's going wrong. It seems that the wpa_supplicant only takes the
engine for the outer authentication. Is that possible?

Why do I think that?
Well:
1) If I use the client_cert2 variable, OpenSSL claims, that it does not
find the matching certificate.
2) If I use client_cert, it will read the certificate out of the engine
in the EAP-TTLS authentication and claim that there is no engine ID when
starting with EAP-TLS and from the logs it seems, that it is reading the
engine in the outer authentication.

Therefore my question: On the wpa_supplicant homepage I saw that
EAP-TTLS/EAP-TLS has been tested with FreeRADIUS. Is there a place where
to download the test configurations? That would be very helpful for me!
I want to try to use EAP-TTLS/EAP-TLS without engine for a first test
(take out the complexity in order to understand it :)). I tried it with:

network={
        ssid="dd-wrt"
        scan_ssid=0
        mode=0
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        eap=TTLS

        phase2="autheap=TLS"

        identity="10.1.1.5"
        ca_cert="/home/latze/cert/cacert.pem"
        client_cert2="/home/latze/cert/basisk_cert.pem"
        private_key2="/home/latze/cert/basisk_key.pem"
        private_key2_passwd="PW"
}

Using those certificates in normal EAP-TLS works. But in
EAP-TTLS/EAP-TLS, I get

1225375899.974397: EAP-TTLS: AVP - EAP Message
1225375899.974402: EAP-TTLS: AVP: code=79 flags=0x40 length=261
1225375899.974406: EAP-TTLS: AVP overflow (len=261, left=213) - dropped
1225375899.974411: EAP: method process -> ignore=FALSE methodState=DONE
decision=FAIL

When doing the inner authentication and I don't know why.

Regards
Carolin

--
Carolin Latze
Research Assistant			ICT Engineer

Department of Computer Science		Swisscom Strategy and Innovation
Boulevard de Pérolles 90		Ostermundigenstrasse 93
CH-1700 Fribourg      			CH-3006 Bern

phone: +41 26 300 83 30			+41 79 72 965 27
homepage: http://diuf.unifr.ch/people/latzec