New driver comming up

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Oct 25 09:44:21 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:18:09AM +0200, Jouke Witteveen wrote:

> Many routers from Linksys (and others), especially the WRT54G series,
> use a Broadcom switch chipset (BCM5325 series). These switch chipsets
> are referred to as roboswitches. Being proper switches they block
> 802.1X packets by default.

Hmm.. So are you trying to get one of those ports authenticated to an
external switch port using IEEE 802.1X? I would be kind of interesting
in the other end of the authentication for wired networks, i.e., getting
hostapd authenticator running on a low-cost device that can do proper
port blocking.. Any idea whether that would work with those devices?

> The reason why the wired driver does not work is that the procedure of
> joining the multicast group (01:80:C2:00:00:03) is completely
> different. Furthermore it is only possible to receive EAPOL packets on
> a special (not really special, but still) management interface. This
> means that it might (I am not sure yet) be necessary to listen on more
> than one interface.
> Please let me know if it is still thought to be possible to utilize
> the 'normal' wired driver in this situation.

Is the management interface a normal netdev? If yes, you might be able
to use the -b option to specify it as a "bridge" interface. This would
allow EAPOL packets to be received from another interface.