New driver comming up

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 10:45:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 15:39 +0200, Jouke Witteveen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing a wpa_supplicant driver, specifically for OpenWRT.
> Regarding this I have two questions:
>
> ONE
> Which files should I edit? As far as I can see the following files are
> influenced by the upcoming change:
> src/drivers/driver_roboswitch.c (new)

Is there any reason you cannot use the normal WEXT driver?  Why does the
kernel driver not support WEXT correctly?  It would be preferable to
re-use as much existing code as possible, which means less work for you.

> src/drivers/drivers.c
> wpa_supplicant/Makefile
> wpa_supplicant/Changelog
> wpa_supplicant/README
> wpa_supplicant/config.h
> wpa_supplicant/config_ssid.h
> wpa_supplicant/defconfig
> wpa_supplicant/scan.c
> wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.c
> wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> wpa_supplicant/doc/docbook/wpa_supplicant.sgml
> wpa_supplicant/doc/docbook/wpa_supplicant.conf.sgml
> That's quite a few. Is there a 'normal' way of introducing a new driver?
>
> TWO
> Where to integrate the new driver? Since it is very much related to
> OpenWRT it sounds reasonable to only have it as a build-patch over
> there.

Depends; if the changes are general enough (and since you haven't
included them, there's no way to figure that out) then they might be
appropriate for wpa_supplicant.  But the only way to figure that out is
to review the changes first :)

Dan