driver support for 802.11r ?

Ahmad Ali Tabassam ahmadthe8 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 04:53:24 EST 2008

________________________________
From: David Hick <ds.hick at yahoo.com>
To: hostap at lists.shmoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:59:02 PM
Subject: driver support for 802.11r ?

>I have the Atheros AR5xxx wireless card, but did not get the success.
 Does somebody know how I can configure it for hostpad-0.6.6 and wpa_supplicant-0.6.6.  According to my knowledge the kernel 2.6.27 has a mac80211 which has a support for   Atheros.

The hostapd and wpa_supplicant has the the 802.11r functionality, I tried FT-PSK

> Does I need any patches for hostpad and for wpa_supplicant? Does Fedora 10 have a wireless-testing kernel? . Should I use the compat-wireless to for patches for Fedora 10, it will be ok? Or should I use any other distribution and wirless-testing kernel?
Looking forward for help. I appriciate if some one can help me in detail.

I have do not have any idea about fedora but I used the git wireless-testing tree.  When I run # wpa_supplicant -dd -Dnl80211 -iwlan2 -puse_mlme=1 -c wpa_supplicant.ft_psk.conf I get the following error.........
Failed to set interface wlan2 mode
Could not configure driver to use managed mode
nl80211: Using user space MLME
nl80211: Failed to enable userspace MLME

I have written a mail to Jouni and also posted on the group may be someone help me to solve this problem?

Best Regards
Ahmad Ali Tabassam

I used the configuration for wpa_supplicant and hostapd v0.6.6 for compiliationCONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y
CFLAGS += -I$(LIBNL)/include
LIBS += -L$(LIBNL)/lib

And I also enabled the MLME. I used userspace_mlme_allow_bssid_mismatch.patch and vif_conf.patch for wpa_supplicant(Thanks Jouni). I think you also need the enable_ap_mode
you can download it from the Jouni home page (w1.fi/wireless-testing).
 CONFIG_CLIENT_MLME=y
WIRELESS_DEV=/usr/src/wireless-testing
CFLAGS += -I$(WIRELESS_DEV)/net/mac80211