HostAP Digest, Vol 67, Issue 4

Karl Rudnick krudnick at roadrunner.com
Mon Nov 3 12:35:45 EST 2008

I am having a problem with my hostap driver (Intersil Prism 2.5,
firmware 1.4.9) on a Compaq Presario 2100, running ubuntu 8.10.
I mentioned this in an earlier post, Vol66, Issue 36. But to address
your comment on an OB1 error, if I execute an iwconfig, I get something like

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"ANYSIX"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:21:29:63:78:1C
          Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
          Retry short limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=24/70  Signal level=-65 dBm  Noise level=-90 dBm

Note that my ESSID is 6 chars, but iwconfig shows a 7th garbage char. I
have no clue whether this is getting in the way of my connection - just
an observation at this point. I have another laptop, runnuning ubuntu
8.04 with the iwl3945 driver which works just fine and iwconfig shows
exactly 6 characters as expected.

-Karl Rudnick