wpa_supplicant and hidden ssid

Helmut Schaa helmut.schaa at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 1 11:05:29 EDT 2008

Hi,

Am Samstag, 1. November 2008 schrieb Katharina Brandl:
> thanks a lot for your help. ap_scan=1 doesn't work, but ap_scan=2 and
> pairwise/group ciphers in my config file it works fine.

Ahhh, missed one thing. If you use ap_scan=1 you have to add scan_ssid=1
to your network block!

> So for others having the same problems, my wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
> ap_scan=2
>
> network={
> ssid="mySSID"
> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> psk="passphrase"
> priority=5
> proto=WPA
> pairwise=TKIP
> pairwise=TKIP
> }
>
> What exactely is the meaning of proto and priority? Becauce these two
> line are the only ones I added and now I works...

priority is only used if you have multiple network blocks. It just allows
wpa_supplicant to determine which network to use if multiple configured ones
are found.

proto=WPA tells the supplicant to either use WPA or WPA2 (RSN) and in case
you're using ap_scan=2 you have to provide the driver with that information.

Helmut