wpa_supplicant v0.6.3 loses connection, then reconnects to a different AP

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Mon May 19 00:28:23 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 10:52 -0700, David Ehrmann wrote:
> When my connection drops, wpa_supplicant 0.6.3 sometimes reconnects to
> an AP on the same SSID, but with a different BSSID.  I thought that
> specifying the BSSID would force that one to always be used.

>From the sample wpa_supplicant.conf:

# bssid: BSSID (optional); if set, this network block is used only when
#       associating with the AP using the configured BSSID

In other words, this block (including the authentication data) won't be
used with another BSSID.

I think it's more likely that the driver associates by itself, or it
reports something wrong.

Does the other AP need WPA?  What's the driver you are using?  What in
the kernel version?  What is the command line for wpa_supplicant?  Does
wpa_supplicant report anything about the other BSSID in the log?  What
happens if you add an entry for the other BSSID with a wrong identity
and password?

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin