WPA2 interoperability problems between hostapd 0.4.10 and wpa_supplicant 0.5.9?

Clem Taylor clem.taylor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:32:28 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm using wpa_supplicant v0.5.9 and I've been having problems keeping
connected to a wireless router that is running hostapd 0.4.10. I'm
using WPA2-PSK (RSN) and sometimes when the client looses its
connection (AP reboot and random connection loss) it fails to
re-authenticate with the AP. The client will sit in a loop associating
and then timing out in authentication. This happens continuously and
it doesn't seem to recover without manual intervention. The AP will
sometimes complain:

hostapd: wlan1: STA <MAC> IEEE 802.11: associated
hostapd: wlan1: STA <MAC> 802.11: disassociated
hostapd: wlan1: STA <MAC> IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local
deauth request
hostapd: wlan1: STA <MAC> WPA: WPA IE from (Re)AssocReq did not match
with msg 2/4
... repeated over and over ...

But other times it doesn't produce an error message. If I terminate
the wpa_supplicant and restart, the connection will sometimes recover,
but other times it will continue to fail to authenticate. If I
terminate wpa_supplicant, wait several minutes and then restart the
connection always seems to recover.

Are there any known interoperability problems between older hostapd
and newer wpa_supplicant?

I haven't been able to figure out what triggers this problem, my
current test has two clients connected to the AP, both using curl to
fetch an infinite http stream as fast as the link will support. This
test should run forever, but after a variable amount of time the
clients loose their network connection due to the failure to
reassociate. I sometimes see extra "IEEE 802.11: associated" lines in
the hostapd log and they don't seem to appear on a regular interval,
but they happen to both clients at the same time.

Any ideas?

                              Thanks,
                              Clem Taylor