Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) and hostapd/wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Jun 16 13:26:50 EDT 2008

Over the past couple of months, there have been number of questions
about WPS support in hostapd/wpa_supplicant. Due to legal threats from
my former employer, Devicescape Software, I temporarily removed all of
the WPS implementation from hostapd/wpa_supplicant repository. I
believe that Devicescape's claims are unfounded and I am currently
reviewing the matter with my legal counsel. I expect to restore WPS
support into hostapd/wpa_supplicant but while this review is ongoing
the WPS implementation is still not available from my web site. At
this point, I do not have an estimate on when the WPS support would be
available in hostapd/wpa_supplicant, but my clear goal is to get this
functionality into the open source project as soon as possible.