Rate seems limited to 1M

David Ehrmann ehrmann at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:46:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM,  <GNUtoo at no-log.org> wrote:
>>> What signal strength does the Gentoo laptop report at various locations?
>> At the usual place:
>> 1M           Link Quality=48/100  Signal level=-70 dBm
>> 54M          Link Quality=48/100  Signal level=-72 dBm
>> Near the router's antenna:
>> 1M           Link Quality=58/100  Signal level=-9 dBm
>> 54M          Link Quality=58/100  Signal level=-9 dBm

Signal strength doesn't change with the link speed, but your link
qualities look good, at least good enough for closer to 54mbps.

One thing with the link speed, I *think* clients and APs each set
their own link speed with their own algorithms.

Try changing to a different channel.  That's one thing that could
cause a good signal strength, but bad link quality.  The way you can
check to see if it's interference with another AP is by looking at "Rx
invalid nwid" in iwconfig.

> mabe that's not related(don't know) but i also have a lot of messages in
> the kernel log:
>  153.027555] SKB BUG: Invalid truesize (304) len=129, sizeof(sk_buff)=176
> [  153.269940] SKB BUG: Invalid truesize (304) len=129, sizeof(sk_buff)=176

Google wasn't useful, on this one.  Try grepping linux and your
wireless driver to try to find the problem.  Hopefully it's just a
coincidence.