[0.5.10 PATCH] Add WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) support

Chuck Tuffli CTuffli at dspg.com
Thu Jul 24 14:54:21 EDT 2008

This is an alpha quality patch adding both PIN and Push Button Configuration (PBC) for an enrollee. Alpha means:
- it is not feature complete
- it has had limited testing
- it has bugs and may accidentally erase your harddrive :)

That said, I wanted to send this out to get some early feedback on a number of areas including the control interface additions, supplicant and device driver requirements, and the over all integration with the supplicant.

The testing to date has been against a DLink DGL-4500 on an embedded system. The patch includes modifications to driver_wext.c but not the others (ie madwifi, prism, etc) drivers. Additionally, kernel device drivers need to pass up the WPS IE as part of the scan results. To build, add
CONFIG_EAP_WPS=y
CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL=y
to the .config file. Unfortunately, this first release requires OpenSSL, but I hope to remove this requirement in the near future. To run, create a wpa_supplicant.conf file that has

network={
        proto=WPS
        eap=WPS
}

To connect using PBC, use the wpa_cli 'pbc' command. To connect using a PIN, first get the PIN via the wpa_cli 'pin_get' command. Once you have entered this into the registrar, use the wpa_cli 'pin_entered' command to start the connection process.

The patch is hosted on SourceForge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/wpsetup/).

---chuck