EAP state machine question

Chuck Tuffli CTuffli at dspg.com
Tue Jul 15 12:36:28 EDT 2008

Sorry, I probably am using the wrong terms here and am confusing the
matter. From looking at the code, I was hoping that getting the PAE
state machine into the DISCONNECTED state would cause a disassociation
from the current AP, scanning and (re)association.

> related to actually disconnecting and re-associating (i.e.,
> IEEE 802.11 functionality, not EAPOL). It may be enough to
> just return failure from the EAP method to trigger this type
> of re-connection to the same AP (assuming no other networks
> are enabled at the same time).

The goal is that upon the completion of the EAP exchange, the EAP method
sets the new configuration information (ie key management, protocols,
etc) and needs the supplicant to disconnect from the AP and associate
using the new configuration.

Setting sm->decision to DECISION_FAIL doesn't seem to cause this
behavior.

Before this, I tried setting decision to DECISION_UNCOND_SUCC and
modifying the end of SM_STEP(EAP) as follows

	case EAP_SUCCESS:
		if (sm->wps_done) {
			sm->wps_done = FALSE;
			eapol_set_bool(sm, EAPOL_portEnabled, FALSE);
		}
		break;

which causes the transitions I wanted

2822.008519: EAP: method process -> ignore=FALSE methodState=DONE
decision=UNCOND_SUCC
2822.010775: EAP: EAP entering state SEND_RESPONSE
2822.012635: EAP: EAP entering state IDLE
2822.014453: EAP: EAP entering state SUCCESS
2822.016331: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-SUCCESS EAP authentication completed
successfully
2822.019924: EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
2822.021626: EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
2822.023689: EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
<sits here forever>

but no subsequent disassociation and reassociation.