wpa_supplicant and ad-hoc mode - possible?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Jul 6 13:08:49 EDT 2008

Is it possible to set up wpa_supplicant to work in an ad-hoc mode?

I have a router with a Broadcom wireless card, but currently, its b43
Linux module doesn't support AP mode. So I have to use ad-hoc on this
device and on my laptop, if I want to connect both devices.

I tried to configure wpa_supplicant to work in ad-hoc mode, but I can't
even ping the other side.

This is the config I used on this device:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

ap_scan=2
fast_reauth=1

# IBSS/ad-hoc network with WPA-None/TKIP.
network={
ssid="testwpa"
mode=1
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-NONE
pairwise=NONE
group=TKIP
psk="superduperwpa"
}

I can see the "testwpa" ESSID in Ad-Hoc mode when I do "iwlist eth1
scanning" on my laptop, but other than that, I can't even ping, tcpdump
doesn't show any received packets etc.

When I use WEP, it works, so hardware is fine ;)

Any hints?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org