Differences between EAPOL v1 and EAPOL v2?

Queisser, Andrew (core, context, who knows?) andrew.queisser at hp.com
Thu Feb 28 16:37:59 EST 2008

Hi all,

We're running into some incompatibilies between clients that expect EAPOL v1 and APs that run EAPOL v2.

I took a look at the applicable IEEE specs from 2001 and 2004 but I have a hard time distilling the differences between the two versions. How big are the differences between the two versions for clients running WPA-PSK? Would it be safe for those clients to bypass the hardcoded check for EAPOL v1 and connect to APs running v2?

Thanks,
Andrew Queisser