why remove WPS

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sun Feb 24 20:32:52 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 14:41 +0000, Xiangyong Chen wrote:
> Hi, Dear Hostapd Developers,
>
> I have try the version support WPS some days ago. The hostapd support
> push-button well. The changelog also tell me that you have put some
> time to realize and test it.
> But these days, I found that you remove WPS support from
> wpa_supplicant and hostapd.

I confirm it.  WPS disappeared from the git repository just before
version 0.6.3.  I hoped that WPS would be in a separate branch, but I
don't see anything like that.

> Why? I think it is a good function and many developers and users may
> like it. May you tell me the reason? And whether we can find the
> function in the future version?

I'm also concerned about it.  It's not that I would likely use it
myself, but it's useful code licensed under GPL.  It's worrying to see
it disappear without any warning or discussion.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin