Re: Configuration information in hostapd-0.6.2 / wpa_supplicant-0.6.2

Christian Fackroth Proger at web.de
Thu Feb 7 09:50:41 EST 2008

>> If the mode is 1 in the config file I have to configured this with 1 and not
>> fix with 0.

> Why?

You are right it works also with configuration 0 but I get a warning that the
driver couldn't configured in manged mode. This is clear because I configure
the driver in IBSS mode.

> Can you please explain what you are trying to do?

Sure, I try to implement WPA2-PSK for IBSS mode. For this I modified hostapd
and wpa_supplicant that they run in IBSS mode. Also I have already changed
some parts in the madwifi driver. Now the 4-way-handshake works in one
direction and I can transmit and receive encrypted data between two adhoc
stations. On one station I start hostapd which I have already modified so that
I add a new start command flag to start it in adhoc mode.
Now I have a problem with bssid of the state machine in wpa_supplicant. Sometimes
there is only 00:00:00:00:00:00 as bssid so I make a hack in
wpa_supplicant_process_1_of_4() which copy the src_addr in the bssid. Otherwise
the 4-way-handshake don't work in IBSS mode but with this hack it works for now.
The hack is not for INFRA mode so I have to make a decision if IBSS is selected or not.
Or have you an idea what can be go wrong with the bssid in IBSS mode?
The function wpa_driver_wext_get_bssid() return the correct bssid.

If this works the next step I have to do is to run hostapd and wpa_supplicant in
one process like test_wpa it already shows but with working 4-way-handshake
in one direction such it is now with separately hostapd and wpa_supplicant.
If this works the next steps I have to do are descibed in the standard and you
also wrote some notes in other posts.
So if you have some hints for me it will be nice!

Thanks in advance,
  Christian